Grilling glams up ordinary fruits and vegetables:
• Favorites include:
bell peppers, artichokes, mushrooms, zucchini, squash, endive, and more.
• Brush veggies lightly with extra virgin olive oil, add a little salt and pepper and toss them directly on the grill.
• Turn them over once they have softened and developed char marks on the underside.
• Larger vegetables may need to be sliced or cut in half before seasoning and grilling.
• Try using skewers to make veggie kabobs.
• For grilled corn on the cob, just husk and grill, turning every few minutes until tender and hot.
• Instead of grilled or roasted potatoes, try cutting sweet potatoes or plantains lengthwise, brushing them with extra virgin olive oil and grilling them face down on each side until fully cooked.
• Halved apples, apricots, pears, nectarines and pineapple slices are terrific when grilled until soft and warm. Serve over low-fat frozen yogurt for a healthy yet indulgent dessert.