Chicken Cooked in Burgundy Wine (Coq Au Vin)
In addition to red wine; onion, bacon, and mushrooms add great flavor to this recipe.
1 package Foster Farms Best of Our Fryer
1/2 cup butter
3 slices bacon, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoons brandy
2 cups dry red wine
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chopped mushrooms, sauteed in butter
1. Melt 1/4 cup butter in Dutch oven over medium heat. Saute bacon and onion until transparent, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon and onion with slotted spoon and reserve.
2. Add chicken and brown on all sides in remaining fat. Sprinkle with flour. Add brandy, wine, bay leaf, thyme, parsley, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
3. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Skim and discard fat. Stir in reserved onion, bacon and mushrooms. Cover and return to oven.
4. Bake 5 to 10 minutes more. Stir remaining butter into sauce.
5. Serve with noodles or mashed potatoes.