1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Rinse the chicken with cold water; pat dry.
2. In small bowl, stir together cloves, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Rub spice mixture all over outside and inside of chicken. Tie legs of chicken together with butcher's twine. Set aside.
3. In a large, ovenproof skillet, warm oil over medium-low heat. Stir in onions and garlic; cook until onions are very soft, about 8 - 10 minutes. Set chicken on top of onions.
4. In small bowl, stir together honey, brown sugar, rum and vinegar to make glaze. Drizzle half the glaze over chicken. Pour chicken broth over onions.
5. Bake chicken for 30 minutes in oven. Drizzle remaining glaze over chicken and bake for 30 more minutes. Baste chicken with pan juices and bake 30 minutes more, until done. Let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
6. To serve, spoon onions into dish. Carve chicken and serve each portion with some of the onions on the side.