FIRE UP THE GRILL WITHOUT BURNING YOUR BUDGET: TIPS AND RECIPES FROM FOSTER FARMS NUTRITIONISTS
Flavorful Meals Low in Fat, Sodium and Cost: Feed a Family of Four for $15 or Less
LIVINGSTON, Calif. – Summer grilling season is off and running. Today, the West Coast’s premium poultry producer announced a new web site feature devoted to summer grilling recipes that will feed a family of four for $15 or less, along with tips on creating well-rounded meals based on wholesome, seasonal ingredients. For recipes, side dish ideas and nutrition information visit www.fosterfarmsandnewmansown.net/fireupthegrill.
A recent nationwide grilling survey found that 39 percent of respondents are now grilling more lean meats, such as poultry and fish, now than they did a year ago. At the same time, consumers are more sensitive to their personal budgets, with 71 percent finding home-cooked meals as effective budget savers (in lieu of restaurant dining)1. Foster Farms is making it easier than ever for home chefs to satisfy even the most discerning West Coast palate.
“It is possible to prepare healthy, premium foods for your family and still stick to a modest budget,” says Foster Farms nutritionist Nancy Bennett MS, RD, CDE. “The key is meal planning. Center your meals around fresh, local, seasonal ingredients to avoid overspending on items that have been shipped across the world or country.”
“By choosing natural, lean chicken and whole grains you will be investing in good health over the long run,” adds Foster Farms’ Latino community nutritionist, Manuel Villacorta, MS, RD. “If you’re buying fresh in the first place, the items naturally have less preservatives and sodium.”
The Heat is On: Sizzling Budget-Saving Grill Tips from Foster Farms
• Plan meals before heading to the grocery store – and stick to your list to avoid impulse buys.
• Rely on recipes that use seasonal produce for versatile meals all week (tomatoes complement Mexican, Italian and Mediterranean dishes and are abundant in late summer).
• Choose nutrient-rich, fresh and natural ingredients over costly, nutritionally empty, processed food.
• Select in-season produce for best flavor, price and nutritional value.
• Buy locally-produced foods; they are fresher and often less expensive because they have fewer miles to travel.
• Modify recipes with more economical alternatives. For example, instead of costly saffron, spice it up with turmeric instead. This substitution works great with Chicken, Feta Cheese and Sun-Dried Tomato Wraps.
• Stock up on staples during a sale; plan meals around what is in your pantry or fridge.
• When preparing chicken or turkey for a meal, cook extra for a convenient go-to ingredient for next-day salads, sandwiches, soups or quesadillas.
• Check out www.fosterfarmsandnewmansown.net/fireupthegrill for healthy, budget-friendly side dishes and hot grill-ready ideas, including Chili-Lime Chicken Kabobs and Lemon Pepper Grilled Chicken.
• Too hot to fire up the coals? Rather than heading out to a restaurant, prepare your meal on an indoor grill pan; get the sizzle without the fuss.
The Foster Farms Web site highlights 10 grilling recipes to help consumers create “Meals for Four Under $15.” Recipes include Lite Chicken Italiano, Soy and Garlic Marinated Chicken, Spicy Chicken Breasts and Zesty Grilled Garlic-Herb Chicken. Using 100% fresh and natural, locally-produced Foster Farms chicken along with basic ingredients that most people already have in their kitchens, these recipes provide economical, quick solutions for premium summer meals all season long.
1FMI Grocery Shopper Trends 2008-30-
About Foster Farms
Founded by Max and Verda in 1939, Foster Farms remains family owned and operated to this day. The company has stayed committed to providing the highest quality fresh, locally grown chicken to consumers in the West. Foster Farms specializes in producing high quality fresh chicken products that are all natural with no preservatives or sodium-based additives, in addition to a full line of other delicious poultry products. The company produces and delivers premium quality poultry products to retailers, warehouse clubs and foodservice customers throughout the West. The Foster Farms Web site at www.fosterfarmsandnewmansown.net offers thousands of delicious recipes for all seasons, categorized by preparation time, ingredients, nutrition attributes, and more.